A woman and two men have been killed in a blast at a house in the Newcastle CBD, the NSW Emergency Services Commission (ESC) said.
NSW Emergency Services Commissioner John Poyntz said two people were in critical condition, while a man, aged in his 20s, had been taken to hospital in critical but stable condition.
“Two people are dead in the blast, and two more are in hospital in serious condition,” Mr Poynton said.NSW Police Commissioner Andy Mills said a 20-year-old man was killed in the explosion and two women and a man in their 40s were also injured.
Police and paramedics responded to a call at about 11:50am (AEST) on Sunday about a house explosion.
They were at the scene at the time, Mr Mills said.
Police have not yet named the victims, and the ESS will not release any details about the circumstances of the blast until the next of kin are notified.
The man was taken to Newcastle Royal Hospital where he was in critical and stable condition, Mr Poys said.
“We have a male in hospital, he is in a serious but stable, stable condition and we have a female in hospital with serious injuries,” he said.
He said police were trying to establish whether the explosion was caused by gas or other devices.
“It’s very early in the investigation, we’re working closely with the NSW Ambulance Service,” he told ABC Newcastle.
The explosion happened on a busy residential street in the CBD, about two blocks from the scene of a fatal car crash in November.
The woman died when she was killed by the explosion, Mr Mill said.
“The female is deceased at the moment, and our thoughts and prayers are with her family and her friends,” he added.
Police said they are not treating the incident as suspicious.
An investigation is underway to determine if the woman’s home had any gas or electrical devices, Mr Gannon said.